It’s up to you!
Don’t hesitate to contact the Paris Tourism Office for further information on the parks and gardens of Paris.
In the 16th century the jardin des Tuileries quickly became a fashionable place to take a walk. In the 17th century Colbert commissioned Le Nôtre to refurbish the park and to this day the park is laid out according to those designs.
The creation of the Jardin
des Plantes dates from 1626, under the reign of Louis XIII.
It was the work of two of the king’s doctors: Jean Héroard
and Guy de la Brosse. The intendant of the garden from 1739 to
1788, Buffon, enlarged and considerably enriched the garden with
the help of Daubenton. remonte à 1626, sous Louis XIII,
et fut l'oeuvre de deux médecins du Roi, Jean Héroard
et Guy de la Brosse. Buffon, intendant de 1739 à 1788,
agrandit et enrichit considérablement le jardin avec l'aide
The garden was conserved and designated the Museum of Natural History, whereupon eminent naturalists such as Lacépède, Cuvier, Becquerel and Lamarck contributed to the variety of its fauna. As well as the botanic garden, one can also visit the menagerie, which was created from the former royal menagerie.
(Cyclists can access the promenade from Avenue
Vivaldi or Rue de Picpus and continue to the Bois de Vincennes)
(open 08.00 - 21.00, 9.00 - 21.00 Saturdays and Sundays for overpass
and underpass sections) (architect: Philippe Mathieux, landscaper:
The promenade was established in 1988 along the old railway line that had linked Bastille to Saint Maur until 1970. It has kept the original infrastructure: viaducts, tunnels, ravines. Verdant and lined with little gardens, the walkway also affords an uncommon view of the backs of buildings.
- Jardin de Reuilly (architect: Pierre Colboc
and Groupe Paysages, 1992)
It is inspired by the old sorting station, most notably in the case of the children’s games. Around the big lawn thematic gardens are arranged: an aquatic garden, a rose garden, etc.
In the beginning of the 13th century, Philippe
August had a 12km wall built around the royal hunting ground at
Vincennes. Stags and does were then released to roam within the
Under Louis XV, the forest was transformed into a public promenade and six gates were added to the wall to provide access to the enclosure. In the 19th century, the park became a military training ground and the woods were cleared to make way for barracks, manoeuvring grounds and firing ranges.
In 1860, Napoleon III ceded the ground to the
city of Paris that it might be transformed into a symmetric park
like the Bois de Boulogne. Haussman commissioned Alphand to design
the park in the English style for which the emperor had a liking:
the grounds were reforested, lakes and ponds were created.
The Lac de Gravelle, fed by the waters of the Marne, serves as a reservoir for the other lakes and streams that run across the park. A racing course was installed, and little by little the sporting areas grew. Two signposted pathways lead walkers through the grounds.
Today, the park boasts a zoo, a floral park, the Georges-Ville farm, a Buddhist temple, a tropical garden (and the Institute of Agronomic and Tropical Research), the Technical Centre for Tropical Forestry, a horticultural school with an arboretum, the Cartoucherie de Vincennes theatre and the Foire du Trône in the spring.