One of the first and most important things to organise when travelling is to deal with any administrative formalities (passport, visa, identity card, insurance…). It is very important not to forget any document to avoid problems during your stay.





All non-European Union citizens must present a passport to French customs on arrival in French territory.




All non-French citizens arriving in France should be able to produce documentation indicating the reason for their visit and the address of their lodgings.

In certain cases, a visa is necessary and should be arranged with French consular services before departure. If you wish to stay in France for more than three months and you are not a citizen of the European Union, you must request either a long-term stay visa (visa long séjour) or a long-term study visa (visa d'études longue durée).

To find out whather you require a visa to enter France, click on the link.

Click here to find out the cost of visas.

Minors travelling alone must be in possession of an “Authorisation for overseas travel” (Autorisation de sortie du territoire) signed by their parents.



Call the airline 72 hours before the scheduled time of departure to confirm your flight number and departure time. Check in for international flights begins three hours before departure click here.



To find out about overseas representation in France, you should consult the website of the Ministry for Foreign Affairs.

Depending on your nationality, a visa may be demanded immediately upon your arrival. According to the planned length of your stay you should arrange for:

- a short term visa for a maximum of three months.

- a long term visa, for a stay of over three months, which will be essential to apply for temporary carte de séjour (green card).
The embassy is your link with your home country. You will be able to get help there should you find yourself in a delicate situation, to have your papers renewed or to help you with certain procedures. Embassy and consulates often don’t open in the morning. You should always telephone ahead before going there.



It is not necessary to seek vaccination in order to come to France. If you are being accompanied by an animal, you should furnish a health certificate and make sure the animal is vaccinated against rabies. You should also check with a French embassy or consulate that the race of animal is authorised in French territory.



Different schools in Paris offer a number of methods for learning French as a foreign language, oriented towards language training or towards higher studies. In this regard, you will need to find out about the different schools that exist in the city.

If you are looking to use French on a professional level, mastering vocabulary appropriate to the French business world; courses specialising in business French are available with the ACCORD LANGUES establishment, who also offer courses specialising in law, tourism, art and economics.

To enrol, simply contact Accord Langues: ACCORD is a language school in cooperation the universities of Paris V, Paris VII and Paris VIII :

14 boulevard Poissonnière / 75009 Paris / France
Tél : 33 (0) 1 55 33 52 33 / Fax : 33 (0) 1 55 33 52 34

e-mail : / e-mail :

To consult the websites of Accord Langues (click here to find out about the location of the school), click on the following links:


Several accommodation arrangements (youth hostels…) are available in partnership with Accord.

If you wish to learn about other schools in Paris, you should consult the Paris Tourism Office.